Esl worksheets: printable exercises with answers
Welcome! On this page you will find a number of free esl worksheets with English grammar exercises which you can download to you computer and which are easily printable. They are suitable for all levels - beginner, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate and advanced. All the tests are written for esl students.
1. Diagnostic tests
All the grammar tests on the following pages are marked and include keys with answers.
- Mixed tenses PDF Printable tests to practise different use and forms of all English tenses.
- Mixed verb forms PDF Several tests on tenses used in the passive voice, reported speech, conditional sentences and time clauses + other verb forms - modal verbs, imperatives and gerunds vs infinitives.
2. Present simple tense
- Present simple pdf worksheets Printable worksheets for beginners and elementary students practising do | does in questions, don't | doesn't in negative statements and also the third person singular.
3. Present continuous tense
- Present continuous pdf worksheets Printable worksheets to practise present continuous positive statements, negative statements and questions.
4. Mixed tenses (simple vs continuous) + going to
In each of the following English grammar worksheets there are two exercises with keys practising different aspects of all English tenses and going to used for future activities. (But you can also practise these grammatical structures in hundreds of interactive online exercises similar to the following esl worksheets.)
- Present simple + continuous pdf This worksheet is focused on differences between these two forms. Make statements and questions (multiple choice + gap-filling).
- Present tenses for future, going to pdf Fill the gaps + answer questions to learn how to express future plans and arrangements.
- Past simple + continuous pdf This worksheet contrasts the simple and continuous forms. Choose correct tenses + write questions and negative answers.
- Present perfect pdf Compare the present perfect and past tenses in English (multiple choice) + rewrite sentences in the positive and negative forms of the present perfect.
- Past perfect pdf Use linking words to join two statements to make one sentence + answer questions with prompts in brackets.
- Future simple + continuous pdf Replace incorrect forms with more appropriate grammatical structures + use statements to make questions.
- Future perfect pdf Practise the correct use of the simple and continuous forms in this worksheet (gap filling + multiple choice).
- Regular + irregular verbs pdf worksheets A list of regular verbs with different spelling in the past simple, two lists of irregular verbs + printable worksheets to practise the past simple and past participle of regular and irregular verbs.
- Modal verbs pdf Can, may, must, have to - positive and negative forms (rewrite sentences + match sentences).
- Relative clauses pdf Multiple choice + gap filling worksheet to practise defining and non-defining relative clauses.
- Direct | indirect object pdf Complete sentences with words in brackets (use prepositions if necessary) + put words in the correct order to make sentences.
- Indirect questions pdf Complete the interview + finish the indirect questions in this worksheet.
- English tenses - grammar rules PDF All English tenses with clear explanations and a lot of examples from everyday English.
- Verb forms and sentence structures PDF Printable grammar rules on passive, reported speech, conditionals, imperative, time clauses, relative clauses, gerunds and infinitives, indirect questions and verb objects.
- ENGLISH TENSES ON iPHONES + iPADS (FREE) Download our free app on the App Store.
- ENGLISH TENSES ON iPHONES + iPADS (PAID) 50% discount for schools on the App Store.
5. Regular and irregular verbs
6. Modal verbs
7. Relative clauses
8. Direct and indirect object
9. Indirect questions
English grammar PDF rules for esl students
Grammar rules in printable PDF documents which you can download for free. All the rules are also available online and you can find them if you click on the topics in the menu on the left-hand side.
Our English grammar app