Welcome! On this page you will find a number of free esl worksheets with English grammar exercises which you can download to you computer and which are easily printable. They are suitable for all levels - beginner, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate and advanced. All the tests are written for esl students.
All the grammar tests on the following pages are marked and include keys with answers.
- Mixed tenses PDF Printable tests to practise different use and forms of all English tenses.
- Mixed verb forms PDF Several tests on tenses used in the passive voice, reported speech, conditional sentences and time clauses + other verb forms - modal verbs, imperatives and gerunds vs infinitives.
Present simple + Present continuous tense
- Present simple worksheets For beginners and elementary students practising do | does in questions, don't | doesn't in negative statements and also the third person singular.
- Present continuous worksheets Practise present continuous positive statements, negative statements and questions.
- Present simple vs continuous These exercises are focused on differences between the simple and continuous in positive statements, negative statements and questions.
Past simple + Past continuous tense
- Past simple worksheets For elementary and pre-intermediate students practising positive, negative and question forms.
- Past continuous worksheets Download these exercises to practise affirmative, negative and question forms.
- Past simple vs continuous Printable worksheets to compare these two verb forms.
Future simple + Future continuous tense
- Future simple worksheets Printable exercises with answers on "will" future - elementary English.
- Future continuous worksheets Affirmative, negative and question forms for pre-intermediate or intermediate students of English.
- Future simple vs continuous Learn the difference between these two forms.
Be going to + present tenses for future
- Going to worksheets Practise affirmative, negative and question forms.
- Present simple + continuous for future Used for scheduled activities and future arrangements.
- Will + going to + present continuous Compare these forms used to express future.
Other tenses (simple vs continuous)
In each of the following English grammar worksheets there are exercises and keys with answers. (But you can also practise these grammatical structures in hundreds of interactive online exercises similar to the following esl worksheets.)
- Present perfect pdf Compare the present perfect and past tenses in English (multiple choice) + rewrite sentences in the positive and negative forms of the present perfect.
- Past perfect pdf Use linking words to join two statements to make one sentence + answer questions with prompts in brackets.
- Future perfect pdf Practise the correct use of the simple and continuous forms (gap filling + multiple choice).
Regular and irregular verbs
- Regular + irregular verbs pdf worksheets A list of regular verbs with different spelling in the past simple, two lists of irregular verbs + printable worksheets to practise the past simple and past participle of regular and irregular verbs.
- Modal verbs pdf Can, may, must, have to - positive and negative forms (rewrite sentences + match sentences).
- Relative clauses pdf Multiple choice + gap filling worksheet to practise defining and non-defining relative clauses.
Direct and indirect object
- Direct | indirect object pdf Complete sentences with words in brackets (use prepositions if necessary) + put words in the correct order to make sentences.
- Indirect questions pdf Complete the interview + finish the indirect questions.