Esl worksheets: printable exercises with answers
Welcome! On this page you will find a number of free esl worksheets with English grammar exercises which you can download to you computer and which are easily printable. They are suitable for all levels - beginner, elementary, pre-intermediate, intermediate and advanced. All the tests are written for esl students.
1. Diagnostic tests
- Diagnostic tests - mixed tenses + verb foms PDF Printable diagnostic tests to find out which tenses and verb forms you need to study and which exercises you should do to improve your grammar. The tests are marked and include keys with answers.
2. Present simple tense
- Present simple PDF worksheets Printable worksheets for beginners and elementary students practising do | does in questions, don't | doesn't in negative statements and also the third person singular.
3. Present continuous tense
- Present continuous PDF worksheets Printable worksheets to practise present continuous positive statements, negative statements and questions.
4. Mixed tenses (simple vs continuous) + going to
In each of the following English grammar worksheets there are two exercises with keys practising different aspects of all English tenses and going to used for future activities. (But you can also practise these grammatical structures in hundreds of interactive online exercises on this esl website.)
- Present simple + continuous PDF This worksheet is focused on differences between these two forms. Make statements and questions in a multiple choice and a gap-filling exercises.
- Present tenses for future, going to PDF Fill the gaps and answer questions to learn how to express future plans and arrangements.
- Past simple + continuous PDF This worksheet contrasts the simple and continuous forms. Underline correct tenses and write questions and negative answers.
- Present perfect PDF There are two exercises in this test. The first one is multiple choice and contrasts present perfect and past tenses in English. In the second one rewrite the sentences in the positive and negative forms of the present perfect.
- Past perfect PDF Use linking words to join two statements to make one sentence and answer questions with prompts in brackets.
- Future simple + continuous PDF Replace incorrect forms with more appropriate grammatical structures and use statements to make corresponding questions.
- Future perfect PDF The gap filling and matching exercises in this worksheet practise the correct use of the simple and continuous forms.
5. Regular and irregular verbs
- Regular + irregular verbs A list of regular verbs with different spelling in the past simple, two lists of irregular verbs and printable worksheets to practise the past simple and past participle of regular and irregular verbs.
6. Modal verbs
- Modal verbs can, may, must PDF worksheet Rewrite sentences and match sentences to practise positive and negative forms of modal verbs can, may, must, have to and their meanings in everyday English.
7. Relative clauses
- Relative clauses PDF worksheet Multiple choice and gap filling exercises to practise defining and non-defining relative clauses.
8. Direct and indirect object
- Direct | indirect object PDF worksheet Complete sentences with words in brackets (use prepositions if necessary) and put words in the correct order to make sentences.
9. Indirect questions
- Indirect questions PDF worksheet Complete the interview and finish the indirect questions.
English grammar PDF rules for esl students
Grammar rules in printable PDF documents which you can download for free. All the rules are also available online and you can find them if you click on the topics in the menu on the left-hand side.
- English tenses - grammar rules PDF All English tenses with clear explanations and a lot of examples from everyday English.
- Verb forms and sentence structures PDF Printable grammar rules on passive, reported speech, conditionals, imperative, time clauses, relative clauses, gerunds and infinitives, indirect questions and verb objects.