For intermediate - advanced levels.
Past simple and past perfect exercises Make sentences.
Past simple exercises Complete the e-mail.
Past perfect simple and continuous exercises Compare the simple and continuous forms.
Past simple vs past perfect worksheets PDF
Free printable worksheets to download.
Complete the story with the verbs in brackets:
- It ___ (be) 11 o'clock. Carol Parker ___ (arrive) at the Shaw Hotel five minutes before.
Use the clues in brackets to answer questions:
- A: Why didn't he eat anything? (because - have lunch)
- B: ___ .
Complete the text with the past simple or past perfect tense:
- When I ___ (be) 18 years old I ___ (decide) to spend some time in America. At that time I ___ (have) a penfriend in Vermont for nearly three years.
Use the underlined word in each sentence to make questions:
- A: I couldn't find my keys. I probably lost them.
- B: ___ you ever ___ your keys before that?
Find mistakes and correct them:
- She played the flute and then she had sung in the choir.
More PDF worksheets:
Past simple exercises PDF Exercises with answers to download for free.
Past perfect simple exercises PDF Exercises with answers to download for free.
PDF grammar rules:
English tenses PDF Grammar rules on all English tenses.
English grammar PDF All PDF rules on e-grammar.org.
All these materials are intended for pre-intermediate - advanced students of English as a foreign language.