Online exercises with answers for intermediate - advanced levels.
Learn the difference between the past perfect simple and past perfect continuous.
Past perfect worksheets PDF
Free printable worksheets to download.
Join sentences with expressions in brackets:
- They graduated. They got married. (as soon as) - They got married as soon as they had graduated.
Complete sentences with verbs in brackets.
- After Sam ____ the bank, he got into his car. (leave) - After Sam had left the bank, he got into his car.
What had Betty done before she went to bed?
- (+ cook dinner) She had cooked dinner. (- go out with her friends) She hadn't gone out with her friends.
Respond to situations.
- I didn't watch the film. - (you | see | it | before) Why? Had you seen it before?
Mark is telling his sister about his friend's garden party. Complete their conversation.
More PDF worksheets:
- Five PDF worksheets with keys to learn the continuous forms.
- PDF exercises to practise the differences between these two forms.
- PDF worksheets with exercises on passive forms.
- Compare the use and forms of the past perfect and past simple.
PDF grammar rules:
English tenses PDF Grammar rules on all English tenses.
English grammar PDF All PDF rules on e-grammar.org.
All these exercises and grammar rules are intended for pre-intermediate - advanced students of English as a second language.