See also Online Exercises below.
- Look at Jane's diary. What was she doing at these times?
Monday 4.30 - 5.30 p.m. - have an appointment at the dentist's
On Monday at 5 p.m. she ___ an appointment at the dentist's.
- The Thompson family. What were they doing at 7 o'clock?
Mr. Thompson ___ (cook) dinner in the kitchen.
Mrs. Thompson ___ (clean) their car in front of their house.
- Julie saw Tim and Matt at the swimming pool. Complete Sue's questions.
Sue: ___ when you saw them? (what | Tim and Matt | do)
Julie: Tim was swimming in the pool, but I didn't see Matt first.
Sue: ___ in the pool, too? (you | swim)
- Make questions to ask what Simon and his girlfriend were doing at a restaurant.
At a table by the window.
Coffee with milk and a glass of apple juice.
- Complete short dialogues. Use negative forms of the past continuous.
A: Were you talking to Bob during dinner?
B: I ___ to anybody. I was alone.
- Make negative statements and questions with words in brackets.
___ a shower at 6 o'clock. (I | not have)
___ computer games when I came back home? (you | not play)
Past simple + Past continuous tense exercises PDF
Exercises with answers to download for free.
Past simple + Past continuous online exercises with answers and grammar rules.
PDF grammar rules:
English tenses PDF Grammar rules with examples on all English tenses.
All these materials are written for students and teachers of English as a foreign language.