Past continuous tense
- PDF worksheets
- Online exercises
- Grammar rules PDF
English grammar books PDF
PDF book 1: English grammar exercises PDF
PDF book 2: English grammar rules PDF
Past continuous exercises + PDF worksheets
Compare: Past simple vs. past continuous
Online exercises with answers:
Past continuous exercise 1 Use the verbs in brackets to complete sentences.
Past continuous exercise 2 What was Jane doing at these times?
Past continuous exercise 3 Complete the dialogue 'Romance at the Swimming Pool'.
Past continuous Exercise 4 Make positive and negative questions.
Past continuous Exercise 5 Practise negative forms.
PDF worksheets to download:
- Look at Jane's diary. What was she doing at these times?
(Monday 4.30 - 5.30 p.m: have an appointment)
At 5 p.m. she ___ an appointment at the dentist's.
- The Thompson family. What were they doing at 7 o'clock?
Mr. Thompson ___ (cook) dinner in the kitchen.
Mrs. Thompson ___ (clean) their car in front of their house.
- Julie saw Tim and Matt at the swimming pool. Complete Sue's questions.
Sue: ___ when you saw them? (what | Tim and Matt | do)
- Make questions. What were Simon and his girlfriend doing at a restaurant?
Where ___ they ___ ?
At a table by the window.
- Complete short dialogues with negative forms.
A: Were you talking to Bob during dinner?
B: I ___ to anybody. I was alone.
- Make negative sentences and questions.
I ___ a shower at 6 o'clock. (not have)
___ computer games when I came back home? (you | not play)
Grammar rules PDF:
Past simple and continuous PDF rules Grammar rules with examples.
English grammar PDF All PDF grammar rules on this website.
All these materials are written for students and teachers of English as a foreign language.