Online exercises with keys:
Past continuous Exercise 1 Learn to make positive sentences.
Past continuous Exercise 2 Make positive and negative questions.
Past continuous Exercise 3 Practise negative forms.
Past simple vs past continuous exercises Practise the difference.
PDF exercises with answers:
Free PDF worksheets with answer keys
- Look at Jane's diary. What was she doing at these times?
Monday 4.30 - 5.30 p.m. - have an appointment at the dentist's
On Monday at 5 p.m. she ___ an appointment at the dentist's.
- The Thompson family. What were they doing at 7 o'clock?
Mr. Thompson ___ (cook) dinner in the kitchen.
Mrs. Thompson ___ (clean) their car in front of their house.
- Julie saw Tim and Matt at the swimming pool. Complete Sue's questions.
Sue: ___ when you saw them? (what | Tim and Matt | do)
Julie: Tim was swimming in the pool, but I didn't see Matt first.
Sue: ___ in the pool, too? (you | swim)
- Make questions to ask what Simon and his girlfriend were doing at a restaurant.
At a table by the window.
Coffee with milk and a glass of apple juice.
- Complete short dialogues. Use negative forms of the past continuous.
A: Were you talking to Bob during dinner?
B: I ___ to anybody. I was alone.
- Make negative statements and questions with words in brackets.
___ a shower at 6 o'clock. (I | not have)
___ computer games when I came back home? (you | not play)
Past simple vs past continuous exercises PDF Practise the difference.
English grammar exercises PDF All PDF exercises on e-grammar.org.
Past simple and past continuous Online grammar rules.
English tenses PDF Grammar rules on all English tenses in PDF.
All these materials are written for students and teachers of English as a foreign language.