Modal verbs can, can't
- PDF worksheets
- Online exercises
- Grammar rules PDF
English grammar books PDF
PDF book 1: English grammar exercises PDF
PDF book 2: English grammar rules PDF
Can - can't PDF exercises
Free printable exercises with answers to download.
- Put words in the correct order to make sentences.
play | my | can | brother | football
My brother can play football.
- Rewrite sentences with can or can't and keep the same meaning.
Don't park your car here. It is illegal.
You ___ park your car here. It is illegal.
- Choose the correct endings to complete sentences.
She is so different. ___ .
(She can take a picture. | She can't be your sister.)
Can, can't questions PDF exercise 4
- Put words in the correct order to make questions.
where | can | tonight | sleep | we
Where can we sleep tonight?
Can, May, Must, Have to Exercises PDF
- Mixed modal verbs in positive and negative forms.
Can - Be able to Exercises PDF
- 'Can' compared with 'be able to' in all tenses (PDF exercises).
Can - Be allowed to Exercises PDF
- 'Can' vs 'be allowed to' in PDF exercises to download.
Modal auxiliary verbs Online exercises and PDF worksheets.
Grammar rules PDF:
Modal verbs rules PDF Grammar rules with examples.
English grammar PDF All PDF rules on e-grammar.org.
Can - Can't
1. The modal verb can is used to express ability, possibility, probability or permission.
2. The form is the same for all persons, singular and plural.
3. The negative form is cannot (one word) or can't.
4. The past form is could. All other tenses are formed with be able to (ability + possibility) or be allowed to (permission).
Can is used to express the idea that we are able to do something.
I can play the piano.
Can she cook? - No, she can't.
We cannot speak Spanish at all.
Can also expresses the idea that it is possible to do something.
We can go this way. It's shorter.
Josh can't come to the party. He is busy.
Can I ski today? Is there enough snow on the hill?
Can is used to say that something is probable.
It can be quite dangerous to drive in such a weather.
Susan can be late for the lesson. She got stuck in a traffic jam.
Can expresses the permission to do something.
You can marry our daughter.
Mum, can I go to the disco tonight?
- All PDF exercises and grammar rules from this website.