Compound nouns exercises
English grammar guide (all about English grammar)
Compound nouns (grammar rules with examples)
English nouns (more about English nouns)
- Match the words from column 1 with the words in column 2 to make open compound nouns (two words).
- Read definitions and make closed compound nouns (one word).
- Complete sentences with hyphenated compound nouns (e.g. check-out). Use words in brackets.
- Choose correct options. Open, closed or hyphenated compound nouns?
Online exercises with answers:
Practise open, closed and hyphenated compound nouns in different types of exercises for elementary - intermediate learners of English.
Open compound nouns (two words)
- Match words to make compound nouns (click and drag).
- Make compound nouns from the words in the box and use them to complete sentences.
Closed compound nouns (one word)
- Match a word from column A with a word from the list in column B.
Hyphenated compound nouns
- Complete sentences with compound nouns. Combine the words in brackets with your own words.
Plurals of compound nouns
- Choose correct plural forms of compound nouns to complete sentences.
- Choose correct plural forms in the multiple choice quiz.
Compound nouns and possessive forms
- Choose correct answers to complete sentences with possessive forms.
Mixed compound nouns
- Open or closed compound nouns? One word or two words? Fill gaps with correct options.
- Match phrases with open, closed or hyphenated compound nouns. Choose correct forms.
- Find different types of compound nouns in sentences. (A quiz measuring your time.)